Monday, March 20, 2017

First Day of Spring

The calendar says that today is the first day of spring, i.e. the spring equinox.  The plants and animals are certainly acting like it is spring.

Most of the flowers on the flowering trees have already come and gone.  Our yaupon holly is creating pollen like crazy, hence making it a losing battle to keep my car and the patio furniture anything but yellow.  We saw bluebonnets while walking along Lewisville Lake this morning.

Bluebonnets at Lake Park on the first day of spring

The birds are singing away in the backyard and a wren is busily carrying nesting material into the bird house on the patio.

I guess I think it is spring, too.  I finished planting everything in the garden yesterday, despite the fact that that is weeks earlier than my original plan.  I wanted to take advantage of the predicted warm weather, near 90 today and in the 80's every day for the next week or so.  I am gambling that we will not have any more frosts or freezes, which doesn't seem like much of a gamble at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment