Friday, December 15, 2017

Rudolph Impersonator

You would think I would learn.  I was going to post about the peppers and cucumbers I was able to harvest from the garden on December 7 before the major freeze into the low 20's that killed the hot weather plants (peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes) on December 8.

This is the December 7 harvest to beat the hard freeze on December 8.  It includes 2.5 lbs of ripe banana peppers (the second such batch I have harvested in a two week period, with almost that much unripened on the plants) 0.5 lb of cucumbers, and plenty of lettuce.


Not a bad harvest from my little garden for December!  From the cucumbers, I was able to make another small batch of bread and butter pickles, which are so much better than the pickles from the store.


Lots of little ones that I picked early due to the impending freeze.


Not quite a full jar, but not bad for December.


I don't know if I will pickle the large numbers of banana peppers, since I already have many more of them than I will probably ever eat and I am short on time.  There are lots of other things that take precedence this time of year.


But, haste makes waste.  Running around trying to get everything ready for Christmas yesterday I was not paying attention, misjudged the curb, and did a face plant into the sidewalk in one of the strip shopping centers in Highland Village. 

Morning after pic



I now need to add a trip to the glasses store to at least try and get these bent back into shape.  I will also need to start the process for new glasses, since the left lens is scraped up.



Good news:  I seem to be ok, despite bending my glasses and scraping my face, hand and knee.  I am not as bruised this morning as I was afraid I would be, but that may get worse before it gets better. This is just a heads up for those of you that will see me at Christmas.  I will be "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Turkey".


No comments:

Post a Comment